2006-2008 Pepperdine University School of Law Malibu, CA
LL.M., Dispute Resolution, June 2008. Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution.
London/Geneva Program 2007 on International Dispute Resolution.
2001- 2004 Texas Wesleyan University School of Law Fort Worth, TX
Juris Doctorate, December 2004. Graduated Magna cum laude, and 2nd in class. Dean’s list honors-Fall 2001/Fall 2002/Spring
2003 /Fall 2003/Spring 2004/Fall 2004. Staff Member and Citations Editor, Texas Wesleyan Law Review Fall 2003-Fall 2004
2003 Tulane Law School Cambridge, UK
Focused on Comparative laws, including comparative products liability and criminal procedure.
2004 Tulane Law School Paris, France
Sorbonne Institute of Comparative Law. Focused on international law, and maritime law.
1998–2000 University of Houston Houston, TX
B.A. Humanities (Pre-law). Dean’s list. Graduated with a 3.76 G.P.A. Mediation Certification (UHCL-Center for Dispute Resolution).
2005-Present Law Office of Kate Smith, PLLC Colleyville, TX Private practice, including corporate formation, contract disputes, contract negotiation,
family law, wills and estates, mediation and collaborative law.
2011-Present Planning and Zoning Commissioner, the City of Southlake Planning and Zoning Commissioner. Serving community as appointed commissioner.
2009-2011 Texas Christian University Fort Worth, TX Adjunct Professor-Teaching Social Work and the Law
2008- 2011 Zoning Board of Adjustment, City of Southlake Southlake, TX Place 4 Board Member, Vice Chairperson and Chairperson.
2007- 2008 Southwest Airlines Pilots Association Dallas, TX Assisting the Negotiating Committee for the Pilot Union
Received Board Certification in Family Law from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization 2017.
Recognized as Master Credentialed by Collaborative Divorce Texas 2017.
Nominated as a Texas Super Lawyer “Rising Star” 2014, 2015.
Super Lawyer Fort Worth Texas Magazine as nominated by peers every year since 2007.
Served as Member of Tarrant County Family Law Bar “ex parte” committee member since 2013.
- State Bar of Texas- Admitted to Texas State Bar 5/5/2005
- United States Supreme Court- Admitted to practice 4/2009
- United States Federal District Court- Northern District-Admitted to practice 10/2007
- American Bar Association- Member 2005-present
- North East Tarrant County Bar Association-Past President, 2nd Vice Pres.
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Tarrant County Family Law Bar
- Texas Family Law Foundation
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Collaborative Lawyers of Texas
- Collaborative Lawyers of Tarrant County
- Texas Wesleyan Law Review, Staff Member, 2003-2004.
- Amnesty International, Texas Wesleyan Chapter, Elected Officer 2002-2003
- Delta Theta Phi, Spurlock-Armstrong Chapter, Elected Officer 2002-2003
- Texas Defender- Completed 30 hr. pro bono working on Death Penalty and Race.
- Colleyville Chamber of Commerce- Member since 2005
- Southlake Chamber of Commerce– Member since 2005, Leadership Southlake Graduate, April 2007CitizenshipsUnited States, United Kingdom and Canada
Kate Smith Receives Board Certification in Family Law from
the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
AUSTIN (February 10, 2016) − Texas Board of Legal Specialization (TBLS) announced Kate Smith received Board Certification in Family Law. Kate Smith currently practices in Tarrant, Dallas, Denton, and Collin Counties where she practices family law at the Law Office of Kate Smith.
Board Certification is a voluntary designation program certifying Texas attorneys in 22 specific areas of law. Board Certified attorneys must be licensed for at least five years, devote a required percentage of practice to a specialty area for at least three years, attend continuing education seminars, pass an evaluation by fellow lawyers and judges and pass a 6-hour written examination.